I've been doing some extra reading lately, and I have come to the conclusion that many (not all lar) bloggers and their blogs have got abbreviations that are very medically-inclined...Seriously!
Here, let me show you (following my blogroll):-
1) Bitta's Den = BD = Bipolar Disorder
2) Aphasia-Dysphasia = AD = Autonomic Dysreflexia
3) David Santos = DS = Down Syndrome
4) Elviza Michele = EM = Erythema Multiforme
5) Let's Go Land = LGL = Lown-Ganong-Levine Syndrome
6) Lady Patsy = LP = Lumbar Puncture
7) MarinaM = MM = Multiple Myeloma
8) Mat Salo = MS = Multiple Sclerosis
9) Mott's Island = MI = Myocardial Infarct
10) Pi's Twist = Pt = Patient
11) Rita Ho = Rh = Rhesus Factor
12) Ruby Ahmad = RA = Rheumatoid Arthritis
13) ScreenShots = SS = Sjogren's Syndrome
14) Doc TokAsid = Doc TA = Takayasu's Arteritis
Come to think of it, if Jacqueline Tegjue-Martin (JTM) had been TMJ, hers would stand for Temporomandibular Joint!
Some of these abbreviations I came across reading, while others, I learnt while volunteering in the hospital...After all, in hospitals, people all speak in abbreviated codes! Gave me quite a headache when I first started...
I don't blame them...If the healthcare fraternity were to speak in full, their whole day would only be wasted...just speaking (or writing)!
Let me give you two examples:-
"Patient has CIDP"
"Patient has Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyradiculoneuropathy"
"She has MELAS"
"She has Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy, Lactic-Acidosis, and Stroke-like Episodes"
Haha...No work would get done man...Next time your child tells you they want to study medicine, send them for tongue-twister classes first! No kidding...
Have a nice day, folks!
PS: I pray none of you will ever get anything mentioned above...=)